Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Dr. Oetker Chocolate Chili


Muffin tops are considered by many to be the best part of the muffin. I do enjoy them, although I don't often feel the need to throw away the bottoms.

Well, Dr. Oetker has come up with their very own muffin top mix, this one with chocolate and chili. In spite of my prejudiced views on German baking mixes (I feel they are too dry, and I've not yet been able to adapt a mix to be light and fluffy like US mixes), this one is quite good. Please don't get me wrong - I love German cakes, particularly anything with bisquit. Where I struggle is with the Ruhrkuchen, they tend to be exceedingly dry. On the negative side for the US cake mixes, I really dislike the "cake mix" flavor I can clearly taste from the mixes.

It's actually more brownie-like than cake-like, and the addition of chili is just perfect. After eating, you notice that it's a little spicy, but it's still a cake. There are chocolate bits in the mix, but they are hardly noticeable. I added chopped pecans to kick it up a notch.

One nice addition is that they include the baking cups in the mix. These cups are sturdy enough to just lay on a baking pan and slide the pan in the oven. No muffin pan needed.

Reviewed: Dr. Oetker Chocolate Chili Törtchen
Personality: Ready, steady, go! with a little kick of chili
How to enjoy: Bake up a box and enjoy them with afternoon coffee
Rating:
1: Better than sex
2: Little bites of heaven
3: Share with your best friend
4: Will do in a pinch
5: Halloween candy
Where to buy:
Germany:
Any grocery store, pretty much

No comments: