Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Dove Extra Dark Chocolate


My first love, growing up deep in the Midwest 30 years ago, floated in on the wings of a Dove. Surrounded by Hershey's milk chocolate, milk chocolate with almonds, Mr. Goodbar, and Hershey's Special Dark, I was overwhelmed when Dove chocolate came into the market in the 80's or 90's. I'd never tasted anything so creamy and delicious. OK, sure, we're just talking about my first chocolate-love, not people-love. This is a PG-rated site, fer cryin' out loud.

When I reached the US this summer, I needed a chocolate for my road trip. This Dove Extra Dark called out to me from Target's candy shelves. It was a disappointment until today. I ate a bit of the chocolate during my road trip, but found it not very good. It did at least travel well, in spite of the record-breaking temperatures throughout the South that week.
As I write this review, I'm giving it one more chance, and it's much better than it was during my trip. I can actually taste that famous Dove creaminess, and while the chocolate isn't really a good chocolate, like I know now, it does remind me of those days back in 1990 when I was so happy and in love with Dove.


Reviewed: Dove Extra Dark Chocolate 71% cacao
Personality: The Dove I once knew, but a little cold and unyielding
How to enjoy: If you must, then eat it alone in small bites

Rating:
1: Better than sex
2: Little bites of heaven
3: Share with your best friend
4: Will do in a pinch
5: Halloween candy

Where to buy:
Germany: you can get Dove in some places, I'm not sure about this bar
USA: any major store, grocery or department
UK and other places sold as Galaxy chocolate

No comments: