Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Cluizel Easter Egg with speckled croquant eggs


Until today, my will to procrastinate has been stronger than my will to eat chocolate. Since Easter, when I first got The Box, I've schemed and planned the creation of this blog. What should it look like? What needs to be said about this finest of foods? What can I provide my Dear Readers to delight and entertain them? Critical questions that received sober consideration before decisions were made. One of my biggest commitments was to keep the treasures I'd found to share with you, which meant not eating them until talkalota chocolate was up and running.

But The Box called. Having lovingly chosen each individual piece under the wise tutelage of Michael Behrens of Salon du Cacao, I was getting impatient for the first bite. When Dear Hubby started tearing the house apart looking for The Box, however, I knew I had to begin.


Michel Cluizel created a lovely Easter chocolate this year. Perfectly formed into a half-egg, he used rich dark chocolate and decorated it with delicate layers of gold and silver leaf. Inside the egg (pictured here incomplete - we couldn't resist any longer), he nestled several speckled eggs.

The chocolate egg itself is characteristic of Cluizel's talents: wonderful smooth dark chocolate, with an aftertaste that makes you go, "Aaaahhhhh." I'd hoped for more delicacy from the speckled eggs. Rather than a light and airy croquant, it was rather sticky.

Reviewed: Cluizel Easter Egg
Personality: A sophisticated presentation of a candy tradition
How to enjoy: Nibble the rich dark chocolate a small bite at a time, maybe with a glass of red wine. Worth the effort to smell and taste. Eat the croquant eggs anytime, they're not so special.
Rating:
1: Better than sex
2: Little bites of heaven
3: Share with your best friend
4: Will do in a pinch
5: Halloween candy

No comments: