Thursday, May 17, 2007

Berger Zartbitter Pfefferkrokant


Chocolate with pepper? It never occurred to me that this could possibly taste good. Until last Christmas.
Christmas in Germany is filled with many wonderful things, especially the traditional Christmas markets. DH and I traveled to Tuebingen in Baden-Wuerttemberg one weekend to visit their market. After visiting the numerous booths, observing the contented populace, and buying miscellaneous ornaments, incense, and a lovely cashmere shawl, we were cold. Directly across the marketplace from where we stood was a café, so we dashed inside for a hot drink.
Hot chocolate with hot pepper intrigued me, so I gave it a try. Delish! So when I had the opportunity to buy a bar with interesting spices, I couldn’t turn down Berger’s Zartbitter Pfefferkrokant. Dark Chocolate with (deep breath now): green, black, white and red peppercorns, as well as hazelnuts.
Different from my Tuebingen hot chocolate, the Berger is a smooth bar, with bits of cracked pepper pressed into the back of the bar. Chewing a bite of chocolate, the black pepper taste comes through most strongly, and the pepper taste is more obvious than other chocolates with pepper I’ve eaten. Definitely an unusual treat, but I enjoyed it.

Berger. Seduction has many faces.

Reviewed: Berger Zartbitter Pfefferkrokant
Personality: An in-your-face pepper flavor
How to enjoy: A nice big bite with a tall glass of cold water makes this a refreshing treat. Good to serve to guests to give them a little something to remember.
Rating:
1: Better than sex
2: Little bites of heaven
3: Share with your best friend (the beautiful package makes it a nice hostess gift, too)
4: Will do in a pinch
5: Halloween candy

No comments: